Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Do I envy someone else's success

I was struck by the way the NLT puts this passage from John 3:27-30

27John replied, "God in heaven appoints each person's work. 28You yourselves know how plainly I told you that I am not the Messiah. I am here to prepare the way for him--that is all. 29The bride will go where the bridegroom is. A bridegroom's friend rejoices with him. I am the bridegroom's friend, and I am filled with joy at his success. 30He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.

What struck me was the bride will go where the bridegroom is. The bride of course is the church, those who love Christ. The Bridegroom is Christ. I know that despite whatever methods I use it isn't about me anyway. The Bride will find the Bridegroom. And I should be filled with joy when that happens no matter what. Because I must become less and less and Christ in me must become greater and greater.

No comments: