Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Tuesday

I spent a few hours in East St. Louis with Pastor Jay. I have been there before so it wasn't a surprise to me to see the devestation. The burnt out buildings and churches that look like a bomb fell on them seem to bear visible physical testimony to the unseen spiritual war that was waged against this city. Everywhere you look you see the results of the failure of the welfare state to cure the ills of poverty and racism. Satan has devestated this city. But even though many have written it off God hasn't.

I feel strongly in my spirit that Isaiah 61 applies to Jay and his team and what they are doing in the city of East St. Louis. 1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners, [a]

2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.

Would you pray for Jay and his team at Urban Outreach East St. Louis. They are doing an important work. It is hard work and it can at times seem fruitless and frustrating. But God is at work. I was able to meet pastor Shameca today. She works at discipling women many of them are prostitutes. Pray for her and her family. Pray for pastor Ed and pastor Tommy and their families. They work hard for little. I believe God is at work reclaiming this ruined city.

No comments: