Thursday, November 17, 2005

Cessationism

In my wandering through the blogosphere today I came across a pastor's blog in which he discusses the gift of cessation. He says that the gift of cessation is the canon of Scripture. With this gift we no longer need tongues, prophecy, miracles, etc. I don't doubt that this man is a very solid Christian. I just disagree with his premise. He looks at scripture through a lens that says that miracles no longer happen. He rejects the supernatural.

But we serve a supernatural God. I believe God still does miracles and the purpose of these miracles is to confirm the truth of the gospel. All over the world the church is growing and miracles accompany the preaching of the gospel. No where in scripture does it say that miracles will cease. To interpret scripture otherwise is in error. I believe that much of cessationism is a reaction to the charismatic movement and its excesses. As a young person I wanted to reject Pentecostal doctrine because of the excesses I saw. But after further study I believe in the baptism in the Holy Spirit. I believe in miracles. I believe in the infallibility of Scripture.

Why would Jesus tell His disciples to wait for power from on high if it wasn't needed. If the disciples needed the power of the Holy Spirit in their day we certainly need it today.

No comments: